Our Vision Statement is “Uniting Bird Island, Olivia and Lake Lillian to promote the overall development of children ages birth-five and support their caregivers.”
We are just getting started, but some of our projects so far have included the Teddy Bear Band and Bob the Beachcomber beach concerts, Books-n-Baseball with the Willmar Stingers, and helping to add 12 changing tables to local establishments.
Is your family new to the area? Be sure to take a look at this Early Childhood Parent Packet.
Current Projects include Goals in these Areas:
- Literacy – 1000 Books before Kindergarten, and books for F.R.E.D. (Fathers Read Every Day)
- Physical Activities – Updating playgrounds in the Bird Island, Olivia, and Lake Lillian areas, along with adding new equipment for 2-5s
- Child Advocacy – Getting the word out about the importance of early childhood in getting children ready for school – NEW! Early Childhood Parent Packet
- Learn more about our ongoing and past projects
We are excited to help make a difference in the lives of young kids in the Bird Island, Olivia, Lake Lillian areas in West Central Minnesota. We know how important early childhood is to success.
Here are some Critical Facts about early Childhood:
- 80% of a child’s brain is developed by the age of 5.
- Every dollar invested in early childhood saves $17 in welfare assistance, special education, and law enforcement later.
- 50% of Minnesota children are not fully prepared for kindergarten.
- Five years of childcare costs more than four years of state college tuition.
- Over 70% of mothers in MN work outside the home and need quality childcare; 54% in southwest Minnesota found no openings in their area.
- 42% of child care programs ask families to withdraw their infants and toddlers because of social-emotional problems.